29.4.08

Kibune

Kibune is a popular escape from Kyoto, especially in the summer when the restaurants there serve lunch on shaded river platforms. As I walked north up the street, I saw them building these platforms and imagined sitting above the cool river, listening to the water sounds all around. Pleasures of that sort don't come cheap though, as lunch at places like this cost around ¥5000, so I'd be just as happy with a bento sitting on some grass at the riverside.
DSC00645DSC00661DSC00668
DSC00811

I walked north and purchased a mochi from a vendor, there were a few different flavors, but I just chose one at random. Passed some more giant cedar trees, then saw a small parking lot to the right, with a posted map and a trail leading up. Looked like a small loop, and going up the trail I was the only one around. It was very steep climbing, and the trail was slightly overgrown. I had great views of the opposing mountains and was excited to see where I was going, but then it all came to an end and the trail was blocked. Turning around, I went back down and again, continued to follow the road north. As I went past a small shrine on my left, the area became more secluded, no more houses, no one around and no traffic.
DSC00679DSC00689DSC00690
DSC00692DSC00706

I followed the road up, with the river beside me. Eventually I came to a turn off, with the main road going left, and a smaller, somewhat muddy road to the right. You can guess which way I went. The river had become a stream to my left, and above me on the slopes all I could see were endless cedar trees. The muddy road became a muddy path, then a muddy trail. I disturbed a crane and it flew away ahead of me, only to be disturbed again a few minutes later. The trail became more challenging, steep, slippery, and covered with fallen ceder branches. I passed a sign that allowed me to see where I was on the map I had, but by then I was pretty hungry and only had a few more hours of daylight, so instead of continuing into unfamiliar terrain on an unfamiliar loop, I turned around the way I came. I made MUCH better time going downhill.
DSC00720DSC00738DSC00743
DSC00751DSC00775DSC00777
DSC00780DSC00786DSC00808

Back through Kibune, along the road and to the train station, I exited at my transfer point and had a cheap dinner. Then back to Kyoto station and home.
DSC00826

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking me on your hikes. I really can vision being there. The photos are great.