10.4.08

京都市

Today was my first trip into Kyoto. It was raining and would do so off and on for most of the day. Walked to the JR station, used the machine to purchase a ticket. Tickets are not issued for destination, instead you use the large map to see the cost of where you're going, then put in that amount. The train was not crowded and I arrived at Kyoto station in maybe 20 minutes. Not sure which way to go, I went out the nearest exit until I could orient myself. I had heard the Kyoto Station was a big building, but I had a good view of this from the south side.
dsc00146
I walked back through the station, took a picture of the Kyoto tower and headed north.
dsc00148
DSC00152
I stopped briefly at Higashi Hongan-ji temple, cleansed myself, then headed on. Outside of every temple is a fountain, where you are meant to cup water in each hand separately, then swish your mouth in a ritual to cleanse yourself before entering the temple. I didn't go in, and haven't for any temple yet.
DSC00157
Continuing north, I passed a lot stores I recognized, like Starbucks, Nike, and different clothes stores, all those big international corporations that have a presence everywhere. Many places everywhere have an english menu, or a menu with pictures, but one thing about Starbucks, they use the same cups, no japanese on the cups and the baristas all speak english (at least to the extent to understand a coffee order).
dsc00165
dsc00166
Eventually I turned east and passed a shrine before finding the language school I was looking for. The shrines and temples of Kyoto are not really separate from the modern city, so you might see some ancient shrine right up next to a hotel or department store.
DSC00168
Found the language school and talked to the sensei about lessons. It was a good conversation and I hope it works out. If it does, it would mean a train ride into Kyoto 3 nights a week for lessons. Leaving I saw an outdoor goods store which I went into to browse and ended up buying a small little day pack and some trail supplies. After this, I kept walking and turned into an indoor plaza shopping area before coming out the other side and passing over a river. I was hungry and wanted a cheap lunch, so I stopped in a 24-hour McDonalds. I thought I was ordering something else, but I ended up with some kind of seafood burger and it was about what I was expecting.
DSC00182
dsc00185
Kept walking, and approached Heian-jingu shrine. This area also has the Kyoto Zoo and Municipal art Museum. One of the most memorable sights in Kyoto is the large shrine sculpture extended over the street. I turned left and walked up the canal towards my goal, the Kyoto City International Community House. Arriving, I was awed by homage to a rock (my own improv). Inside was about what I hoped for, a large bulletin board for the international community, including syonnara sales and offers for language exchanges.
DSC00194
dsc00198
DSC00207
Sat down for some coffee and to plan my walk, then headed south towards Maruyama park and Choin-in temple. Few of the booths were open, but on a good day, I'm sure this area is wild with people viewing sakura blossoms and enjoying the park.
dsc00223
dsc00225
Leaving the park, I went through many busy areas full of umbrellas. Kyoto is definitely an umbrella city, and everyone uses them. Makes navigating the streets somewhat difficult. I was looking for a particular onsen (public bath), but couldn't find it and stopped for some food, rice and chicken curry. When I was finished, kept searching (in the rain), before going into a little shop and asking directions. From what I could understand from the woman, the onsen I was looking for had closed and she marked my map for another one close by. Almost went right past, and it was only a guess that led me to go in.
dsc00234
There are two separate entrances, one for men, other for woman. I paid, stripped, and went into a room tiled wall to wall. I grabbed a stool from the pile and sat by a faucet, cleaned myself off, then went and sat in the bath. I was the only man there as the only other guest was leaving as I came in. Really wasn't sure what I was doing honestly. Eventually I rinsed off and left, walked the rest of the way back to Kyoto station, then the train back to Nagokakyo.

No comments: