17.4.08

arashi

Stormy today. Rainy season is just beginning. Had to get up early for my first art history class, it was a lecture all in japanese, but at least there were slides to look at. Introduced myself to the professor, not very eloquently, but did not get the chance to ask if I could have a copy of his power point presentation so I could try to decipher some of the text.
DSC00328
Painting class, as it was raining out, could not continue real-life sketching in the yard, so studied and worked from other artwork. On the way home, I took a picture of a tanuki statue outside of a restaurant, I've seen a lot of them, but had to do some web searching to figure out what it was. I like the part about never paying its tab.
DSC00329
SHIGARAKI & TANUKI. The Tanuki is synonymous with modern-day Shigaraki (Shiga Prefecture). Shigaraki-style pottery, which traces its origins back to the 12th century, is one of Japan's most beloved ceramic styles. But the Shigaraki staple most folks are familiar with today is not Shigaraki tsubo (large jars), but rather the pudgy ceramic Tanuki that stands in front of drinking establishments throughout Japan. It holds a sake flask in one hand and in the other, a promissory note for the booze; it never pays, though. If you've ever been to Shigaraki, you cannot miss the numbing variety of garish tanuki that stand in front of many tourist shops. Link.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whenever I see a Tanuki all I can think of is AC/DC "We've Got Big Balls".