2.4.08

Intent.

The most common question asked when talking about studying abroad, is Why Japan? There are a few reasons, but the answer I like to give is, Because it's not Europe. Japan is removed; far outside of my own experience and comfort level. Japan is a myth; everyone has their idea of Japan, be it sushi, shinto, bonsai, karaoke, temples, sumi-e, martial arts, sake, nature, crowded streets, reserved demeanour, or neon lights. I choose Japan because of alluring myth, but only time can show the truth.

Intent:
  • 1. Art - I have struggled as an artist. I've made art, I've sold art ($$=being an artist, right?), I've been a professional designer and made a living doing it. But those are 'outside' things that don't make me an artist on the inside. I'm too lazy with my craft. I'm too scattered in my direction. I have too many ideas which I don't follow through. By being here, studying a traditional style of painting, I will be able to fully immerse myself into study. I will learn technique, and I will gain discipline.

  • 2. Language - I've sometimes envied people who were raised in a bi-lingual household, their world seems so much bigger. Japanese is a completely new language with a much different alphabet, unrelated to the european languages or to english. Many say its a hard language to learn. But with time, effort, and an immersive environment, I will gain some fluency in japanese before I leave.

  • 3. Backpacking - Japan is made of mountains. I'm a big fan of mountains and I'll be hiking as much as I can while here. I've had few opportunities to do much wilderness backpacking in my life, and with a sleeping-bag and one-man tent, this is the perfect opportunity. This will also allow me to see and be inspired by more nature.

  • 4. Intangible - I'm in Kyoto, Japan. I've never been in Japan, let alone live here. Who knows what will happen.

No comments: