1.4.08

I'm in Japan!

I made it. Thats the first thing anyone should say after such a long flight. I was up all night packing, then boarded the plane from Boston to San Fran at 6AM, then the plane from San Fran to Kansai Int'l. Long flight. I could have watched Alvin and the Chipmunks 5 times over.

Landing was un-eventful and I was in the middle section not able to look out the window. Immigration involved standing in a very long, slow moving line for about 90mins, getting my picture taken and fingerprint scanned , then straight through with no additional questions. This was repeated again with customs, "You're a student?", "OK, thank you, go ahead."

I had an airport shuttle waiting (and a chauffeur holding up a nifty CRAYTON, SETH sign) and the drive into Kyoto was nothing special beyond the fact that most of the signs were all in kanji and hiragana. On arriving at the school, I was greeted by faculty of the school, filled out some forms, then walked with them to the grocery store (for some food) and my apartment. They were very nice in making very sure I was situated for the evening. Happy to find out there are two other americans (besides my classmate who arrives tomorrow) living in my building. They're both here teaching english, and promise to show me around the area as I get situated. I could have gone out with them for some food, but right now I intend to take a bath and crash.

1 comment:

pjc said...

It sounds like the school tries to take care of their foreign students. I'm glad you didn't have any problems with your flights - they were long enough! Love