4.6.08

Don't touch that!

I had a Japanese lesson in the morning, then off to school. I've been bad with Japanese and not studying enough, I can understand the grammar, but don't remember the vocabulary!

Today was sumie of our shells and apples. The difference from last time and today is we were not given a reference sheet. For the pepper/onion, we were given a sheet showing simple brush direction and technique to render those objects, much like this page for a rose. Today we were left on our own except when sensei came around and gave pointers. It was hard, especially because we were supposed to render both objects on the same sheet, so if I did really good on the shell, odds are I didn't like the apple, and vice versa.

After working at it for a few hours and making many versions, I finished something I was somewhat proud of. The shell looked like my shell, the apple looked like my apple. Then something happened that I didn't really like. Sensei came around with a tray of colors, grabbed a brush and went right over top my sumie. Bright colors, no subtlety, and too much water for the paper type so the colors bleed outside my object. My apple turned into tie-dye, and my shell was turned blue, though in reality it was mostly white with hints of yellow. He went around and colored everyones work, adding a layer of his own hand on top of our sumie. He has done something like this before, with better results when demonstrating a technique or putting on the finishing touches, not only for me but the whole class. It's useful, it has a purpose, and it very minor, but in this situation it was too heavy handed. Sumie is different, it's not layering, and if we were going to add a highlight of color onto our sumie, it would have made just as much sense for us to do it as for him.

No comments: