24.7.08

Big Painting #2

I am not happy with my second large painting. Not at all happy. And it's my own fault, I did not learn. I did not prepare a good sketch. I tried to freewheel, and now I am not happy. As I continue with the image, it feels simplistic, childish, empty. The colors are all wrong, and I don't know what I'm doing. If this was a drawing, I would simply discard it, start again, but because of the materials, I struggle and search for every little thing that might make it better. Which isn't much in my mind.

But having said that, I am using 岩絵の具IWAENOGU, vs DORAENOGU in this painting and that is part of the problem. It's a problem because I approached the Iwaenogu not knowing how different it would be, and it's very different. I really like it now that I understand it better, the materials are amazing. Once you mix up the paint, and brush it onto the paper, it is like nothing else I have ever done. I can take a brush and push it around. I can take previously dried areas, apply water, and rework them. It's like pushing around grains of colored sand, drawing on a beach.

I may hate the image, but I'm privileged getting to use these materials. Doraenogu and Iwaenogu are different from each other, but they work in concert. Next time, which will unfortunately not be until back in Boston, I will do better.

No comments: